[P1] iBook Classic

Christian Dupuis cdupuis at lcc.ca
Thu Jan 29 11:00:08 PST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: iBook List [mailto:ibook at lists.themacintoshguy.com] On Behalf Of
Matthew Burnell
Subject: [P1] iBook Classic

Need some help,

I'm new to the Mac scene, will I be able to run OSX whatever the flavour
on my G3 300 iBook classic clamshell with a memory upgrade? ie. 128Mb or
higher?
---
Matt, I just installed Jaguar (10.2.8) on a client's lime clamshell with
320mb of RAM. It works, but it's no speed demon. I used Jaguar on an
iBook 500mhz with 640 mb of RAM, and it worked nicely.

So the answer is, yes, it will run. But not as fluidly as it would on a
faster box with 512mb or more of RAM. The speed difference won't be that
noticeable with light use (email, light web browsing, light word
processing) but if you try to load a RAM and CPU hungry application (I
ran Photoshop 7 on the aforementionned clamshell), you'll see some
impact on screen redraws, windows opening and that sort of thing.

There's the minimum system requirements, and then there are the real
world system requirements.

Hope this helps,

Chris Dupuis