[P1] Updating Linksys Router Firmware

Scott Warren sw at shelton.org
Fri Jul 2 08:03:46 PDT 2004

Are you saying that you have tried and can not do the firmware upgrade??

Lets not talk apple and windows and routers here... lets talk web:

- Download the firmware upgrade file and keep is somewhere handy.  Make
sure you unzip the file and have the code.bin file.  Like the website
listed suggested, if the firmware file is an EXE file, rename it to ZIP
and then Mac can unzip it.
- You go to a website at 192.168.1.1  and any browser can get there.
This is the setup screen for the router, but its still just a web site.
  You enter your password and you are into the router.
- On the webpage (router setup) you go to the setup screen and it has a
upload spot, just like other websites.
- Click on browse and point it to your file, the browser uploads the
file, and all is good.

When Linksys says they do not support Apple, that just means they have
not written scripts for their highly trained professional tech support
staff to read from.  It also means that the bundled software they sent
with the router does not include a Mac version.  You do not need the
bundled software to use the router, you do not need any software other
than a web browser (IE, Safari, Opera,....) to get to the setup
screens.