[P1] Updating Linksys Router Firmware

Mike Beede beede at visi.com
Sun Jul 4 08:11:43 PDT 2004

On Jul 2, 2004, at 10:50 AM, Scott Warren wrote:

> The mac users I support here, once they hear "mac not supported"  they
> don't get that out of their head even though its not true.... [...]

Turns out your simplified instructions don't work on a router
with sufficiently out-of-date firmware.  No idea if the version
he was upgrading was that old or not.

Older firmware versions of the router expect an upload via
TFTP, which isn't supported by any browser I'm familiar with.
I _assume_ newer firmware will accept an upload via HTTP.
The link that was  posted in the original message explains what
to do if you need to update a sufficiently out-of-date router
using a Mac.  Note that in that case, you _do_ need software
other than a browser to update the router--you need a TFTP
client.  These are available for both OS X and OS 9--not
sure which one the original poster was using.

Bob, if you're still having trouble with it and it doesn't make
sense after you read the document you posted the link to
(<http://www.mactechnologies.com/pages/tftpinst.html#linksys>),
we'll try to explain further.

	Mike Beede