[P1] Need info on VST's clamshell iBook battery charger

Mark Kippert maclists at kippert.com
Wed Jul 14 10:08:03 PDT 2004

David Crump on 7/13/04 11:33 AM wrote:

> I have a question about the VST charger.  I see them on ebay frequently and
> have been curious about them.  I hear stories about them reviving dead
> batteries, and it is tempting to get one to try.  Do they just revive newer
> batteries that are having problems, or will they help a worn out battery too?
> My battery is about 4 years old now and down to about 10 minutes of charge.  I
> bought a used battery on ebay in January.  The used battery was actually an
> older battery, but still held about 2 hours of charge.  However, after 6
> months of use it now holds just under an hour of charge.  Any thoughts on
> whether a VST would be worth a try, or should I just save the money for a new
> battery (or new computer for that matter)?

Thanks for the many replies on the VST charger.

Dave, I bought my VST charger off eBay for the same reason you mention. I
have 3 dead batteries I had hoped to bring back. At one time in their life
they were in good shape. They held a good charge when the previous owner
stored them away and now, almost a year later, they refuse to charge or do
anything. I get the missing battery icon shortly after inserting them into
an iBook to charge.

I installed the Apple Battery Reset (for OS9) onto the iBook but this did
nothing. Have you installed it on yours? If not, try searching Apple's
support, keywords; iBook Battery Reset.

-Mark