[P1] Airport Express question

Mike Wallinga mwallinga at mailup.net
Thu Jul 15 19:48:04 PDT 2004

Hi Reid,

Brian Pearce already replied with the correct answer (as far as both he
and I know, anyway!), but I'm in a talkative mood today, so I thought
I'd expand a little:

The Airport Express can only work as a repeater with other Apple branded
wireless products.  LinkSys, D-Link, and probably other networking
companies also offer wireless repeater products (although not with the
same options for music sharing and such that the Airport Express does),
and the also will work only with wireless products from the same
company.  As I understand it, this is because the WDS protocol that
Brian mentioned is not part of the 802.11 spec, so each company's
products implement the protocol just differently enough that they won't
work with products from other companies.

Your assessment of what Mr. Pogue was referring to in his article is
correct - that technique requires multiple WIRED base stations.  If you
have, say, an Airport base station and a Linksys base station, you
should be able to set up one network transparently by setting the SSID
and channel to the same thing on both of them, but only if they're both
wired to the network.

If you can run cable to the other room and hook up the Airport Express
to the network using its ethernet port, then I think you could be in
business.  But otherwise, I think you're out of luck.

Hope this helps,
Mike W.