[P1] Airport Express question

Tom R. no spam tr5374 at csc.albany.edu
Thu Jul 15 21:07:41 PDT 2004

After saying that I haven't been satisfied with the quality
of the http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/ and linked info,
if I understand correctly, the AE can be used as a bridge (ie
repeater) of an Apple Extreme basestation's WLAN, but as a
separate deal can be used (cf the AirTunes info) as like any
WLAN client like eg a laptop is a client.  Ie, you use the
Linksys as your wireless basestation, your Mac connects to
it wirelessly to tell your stereo what to play, and the AE
unit connects wirelessly also to play the music through the
stereo plugged into the AE.  Might this be what you want to do?

And re your using a switch in the future, can the Linksys do
that, eg with its wireless turned off?

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Reid Conti wrote:
 . . .
> This is no hugely big deal, I'm only living in the current place for 4
> more weeks anyway.  In fact I might be able to move the cable modem
> out here (living room), but last time I checked it only worked on ONE
> of our three cable drops! :)
>
> In the future I'll ditch the linksys that needs to be powercycled
> every day or two to keep the wireless running, and either get a second
> AE, or an AEBS.  Too bad the base stations still don't have onboard
> switches, but i no longer need multiple wired devices (network printer
> only), and now the AEBS has a 100mbit LAN port, i can always hook up
> an external switch...
 . . .