[P1] Questions Purchase ibook 800mhz ??

Richard J Laue rjlaue.lists at verizon.net
Tue Jun 1 14:52:03 PDT 2004

>Belkin make a USB to SCSI for the mac so why would it not work?

USB-to-SCSI adapters DO work, but frankly, they are a pain.  I used
one for a short while, when I migrated from my PB3400 to a 600mhz
dual USB iBook.  I quickly gave up on THAT plan!

Performance using the adaptor was slow, and it seemed like I was
always plugging and unplugging the adaptor, and having to restart
each time I added a scsi device.

vjamacaddict, in the list of peripherals you gave, the only scsi
devices I saw were a CDRW drive, and "several scsi harddrives."

I think you should consider getting an iBook with the built-in CDRW
drive (which, by the way, will allow you to play DVD movies on your
iBook -- lots of fun!) and forget about trying to use the old scsi
CDRW.  The specs on the iBook CDRW are same as on your old SCSI one,
so you're not losing anything performance-wise.  The built-in is SO
convenient -- nothing extra to carry or plug in, and it's always
right there.

And as far as the hard drives -- I'd replace them with a firewire
drive.  Firewire drives are cheap these days.  Your performance using
a scsi-usb adaptor is going to be SLOW and unreliable, so you will
NOT want to use those drives for backup or for critical data.

BTW - here's what I mean by "slow," in real-world terms:
I have about 30gb of data on my iBook HD.  I can copy the whole thing
to an external firewire drive in LESS time than it took me to copy
roughly 3gb of data off my scsi drive using the USB adapter!  I have
long since given away both the scsi drive and the adapter.

Cheers -
RJLaue