[P1] iBook electrical shock

Stephen Mackenzie stephen.mackenzie at connectfree.co.uk
Tue Jun 8 14:20:22 PDT 2004

On Jun 6, 2004, at 21:10, Samantha Packingham wrote:

> I noticed today, that when working with my iBook (dual USB) on my lap,
> it is shocking me when it is plugged in.

Possibly poor grounding? I've noticed a couple tingles off of my 500
icebook (but not shocking enough to remember when or where) but I've
noticed that there's a certain amount of "badly grounded device" hum on
headphones when the 'Book is plugged into the mains. Same root cause,
marginal grounding or double insulation or whatever you want to call
it?

SM

PS. "Double insulation" is a UK electrical term referring to the kind
of insulation needed on a device to remove the earth connection.