Networking Across the Street

Dave Wyman davewyman at imountainman.com
Wed Jun 9 14:10:36 PDT 2004

Thanks all for some good ideas on how to connect my network to my
neighbor's wireless network (she generously offered to let me share her
wireless network for no charge).

The various suggestions included using a used satellite dish antenna,
which looked good, but seems a bit impractical, as I'm not sure my
neighbor would appreciate having the dish on her roof. Still, it got me
pointed in the right direction. The build-it-yourself cantenna is
another good idea. But I wasn't clear if I should attach it to my
network or my neighbors network (there was a third suggestion to put an
antenna on my neighbor's base station, which is possible but again
perhaps impractical). I liked the idea of the wireless ethernet
adapter, which I had to study up on, as the concept again wasn't clear
to me.

Synthesizing the above ideas, here's what I've decided to try:

1) Purchase a wireless ethernet adapter, like the Lynksys WET11.

2) Stick the ethernet adaptor in the window of my office (o.k., it's
the kitchen "dinette" ) and aim it toward the neighbor's home, across
the street.

3) Attach one end of an ethernet cable to the ethernet adaptor.

4)  Attach the other end of an ethernet cable to my AirPort base
station, which will then transmit the wireless signal from my
neighbor's home to the iBooks in my home.

The ethernet adaptor (also known as a bridge) should be far better able
to pick up my neighbor's signal than the antenna in my iBook. But if it
can't, I'm going to purchase a commercial cantenna ($19) and attach it
to the ethernet adaptor (or maybe build my own, although I'm not that
handy with electronic gear.)

Obviously I have too much time on my hands, but this started when
Comcast stopped letting me attach two or more computers at one time to
their cable modem, which I had been doing for more than a year. Comcast
wants me to plunk down another $6 a month for that privilege, then adds
that Apple computers aren't supported.  Hence my purchase of a base
station for our iBooks.

There is one other solution, via software. IPNetRouterX (for OS X) can
be used to network computers, just using the software and an ethernet
hub, without an ISP knowing about it. But you can't go wireless. For
now, IPNetRouterX is a free beta program, and it would have saved me
some bucks (but I wouldn't have the fun of working on a wireless
network).

So again, thanks for the suggestions, which I think have led me in the
right direction. If I attempt this, I'll report the results. Frankly,
I'd love to see our entire block networked!

Dave

--
http://www.davewyman.com
http://www.idrivebackroads.com (Guidebook to Northern California)

This mail is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are
to be considered flaws or defects.