[P1] Networking Across the Street

Jean-Paul Thuot jeanpaul at zhenwu.org
Wed Jun 9 17:09:36 PDT 2004

On 10/06/2004, at 7:10, Norman Milsner wrote:

> I have my main computer (iMac) and an iBook using airport connected to
> COMCAST. I use a router. COMCAST  Cable coming in goes to their modem,
> then to the router. I plug my imac into the router and my Airport base
> into the router. In checking with COMCAST, they advise this is OK, I
> can use as many computers as I want, as long as I only use the one
> modem.
>
> I hope this helps
>

> Norm_M

Having worked for a number of large ISP's I'd have to say that although
the issue of bandwidth usage is taken pretty seriously, what's even
more serious is the use of more than one IP.  There are a finite number
of IPv4 addresses out there, and the number of available ones is
dwindling.  Therefore, every ISP is going to protect the ones they
have, and make sure that every one of them is making them money.
Therefore, a router is certainly the way to go, perfectly legal and
actually recommended in many cases as it adds a great deal of security
to your internet usage (especially, dare I add, if you use MS
products).

My two cents'

Jean-Paul