Networking Across the Street

Dave Wyman davewyman at imountainman.com
Fri Jun 11 02:21:10 PDT 2004

David wrote:

> This is all very puzzling...I'm wondering if each local Comcast entity
> acts
> autonomously or if there is a single Comcast policy covering the entire
> country. The reason I wonder is this:
>
> [snip] At no time did he warn us that Comcast didn't permit
> connecting more than one computer via a router and at no time did he
> try to
> sell us additional IP addresses even though he knew we'd be setting up
> three
> computers on the network.

I don't think the policy in Los Angeles is different from what you have
described. We can use routers and run as many computers as we wish
(because the router hides the computers). There is no attempt by
Comcast to sell us additional IP addresses.

Comcast would like to sell us it's own networking hardware and software.

Historical note: comcast.com purchased what used to be attbi.com which
in turn was mediaone.com. Attaching two computers to mediaone brought
swift reprisal: both computers would be immediately denied service, and
the cable modem had to be unplugged for a few minutes. It was like
getting a parental time-out! With attbi the same policy held for a
while, more than a year ago the policy, without announcement, changed,
so that mulitple computers could be used with one cable modem without
fear sanction. Now comcast.com has returned to the "one computer - one
modem" policy, but violation of the rule isn't as harsh as it used to
be. Any etra computer connected to the modem simply fails to connect
with the comcast.com network, but the "legal" computer will keep
working.

Dave

--
http://www.davewyman.com
http://www.idrivebackroads.com (Guidebook to Northern California)

This mail is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are
to be considered flaws or defects.