replacing iBook opticals, and faceplates

Dan K macdan at comcast.net
Tue Jun 22 07:21:28 PDT 2004

I replaced the CD-ROM drive in my iBook 500 with an old Lombard/Pismo
DVD-ROM reader (SR-8174) I had laying about. Each different mechanism
uses different faceplate mounting points, so of course the CD reader's
face doesn't fit the 'new' DVD drive. I have a generic faceplate on it
for now but it looks a tad errrrr . . . bogus. :-p

Is there any list/source/page/whatever that details the mechanisms used
in the various iBooks? I'd find and order an appropriate Apple face to
fit the mechanism I have if only I knew one was out there that would fit.

The CD-ROM I pulled is a Matsushita CR-177D, same basic jobbie as used in
the Lombard's CD-ROM EBM (CR-176.)

If there isn't such a list already, I'd be glad to put one together if
folks would take just a moment to open System Profiler, get their
optical's model number and either post it here or send it to me at the
address (macdan at comcast dot net) I use for this list. I expect to also
put up other relevant details about the swap. Clamshell owner's info
welcomed too, I have a Blueberry 400 (neé 300) with a Matshita UJDA-330
CD-RW installed, which could also use a proper face.

Oh BTW, the iBook 500 w/DVD drive works great (as of course expected.) I
also happen to have (again, just laying about :-) a combo DVD/CD-RW
Matshita UJDA-730 with the same faceplate mounting points which is
destined for our snow 700. I'm hoping to get a proper face for that one
though _before_ I do the install.

TIA,

Dan K (proud of hisself, only _two_ screws left over after putting the
500 back together :-)

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700
hotline://dankephoto.dhs.org:9500