[P1] OT: Setting up Public Wi-Fi

Scott Warren sw at shelton.org
Thu Mar 11 08:15:37 PST 2004

On Mar 11, 2004, at 9:47 AM, Nikon's World wrote:

> For a little protection from people on the street, set your router to
> not send out your ssid and change the default network name.

... and change the default password!!!!

> Neither wardriving or using a sniffer program is illegal. Anyone with
> a wifi enabled laptop should have at least one sniffer program on
> there computer, I have two.

That is a big on going debate.  Wardriving is simply receiving signals
no different than a radio or antenna tv.  Owning a sniffer is like
owning a gun... no its not illegal in the least, its how it gets used
that causes the problem.  Heck, I use a sniffer to tell me what my
passwords are when I forget an email password that the email client has
stored.  Just turn on the sniffer, check email, and across the screen
in plain text you see "password: t0p$ecret".   Oh, when I said
"sniffer", I mean IP packet sniffers more so than wifi signal
sniffers...

I was surprised when I looked into current legislation and active laws
about computers... Just connecting to someone's computer or network
device with out permissions is illegal, even if you do not do anything
malicious.