[P1] wireless dsl OT

Mike Beede beede at visi.com
Thu Mar 11 15:51:41 PST 2004

On Mar 9, 2004, at 10:04 PM, Todd Doerpinghaus wrote:

> Sorry if this is a little off topic.  I recently
> signed up for SBC dsl and was sent a 2wire dsl "modem"
> with wireless access that I use my 900 mhz g3 on.  It
> doesn't seem to have as many options as a wireless
> router which I also purchased, but can't use.
> Documentation is almost nil.  Is anyone else using a
> similar setup.  It works with my ibook so I can't
> complain, but SBC told me to use the 64bit WEP
> encription (default) because it was better that WPA
> (which they don't offer).  Any thoughts on this, or
> anyone else using wireless access dsl?  Thanks in
> advance

This doesn't seem off topic for the group.

Well, WPA was introduced to address shortcomings in WEP
over the short term.  Basically if you spend enough time
watching a WEP network you can determine the key and then
join the network.  So, what I *can* tell you is that they're
either lying or don't understand the issue (which is
always a possibility when talking to tech support...).

Having said that, it's an issue of risk.  There are probably
a lot of open wireless connections near your house, and
there's little benefit to hacking into your encrypted
one.  This is the familiar principle that you don't have
to live in a bank vault to deter burglars, and you only
have to run faster than your slowest friend when being
chased by a bear....

If they support 128 bit WEP you could use that, but I
believe it isn't that much harder to crack.  Again, if
it makes you a little faster than the other guy....

	Mike Beede