[P1] OT: Setting up Public Wi-Fi

Harry D. Corsover harry at corsazzi.com
Fri Mar 12 09:50:24 PST 2004

On Mar 12, 2004, at 12:31 AM, Nikon's World wrote:

> You probably don't have much to worry about but if you want to be on
> the safe side simply change the network name and password and stop the
> the router from broadcasting the SSID.

Are there generic instructions about how to do this? In case it
matters, I use an SMC Barricade 2804WBR ("extreme"). It's probably not
an issue, since we are on two acres, set back from the road quite a
bit, and someone would have to drive or walk a few hundred feet up our
driveway or up a pretty steep hill to get near enough to the house to
get a signal. File sharing is not enabled, and Panther's firewall is
enabled.

But, if there's something very simple I can do to take our security up
a notch, then I'd do it.

Thanks.

Regards,

Harry Corsover

     Harry Corsover, Independent Business Owner
	CyberWize: The Home Business Solution
	Amazing Travel * Health * Tax Benefits
            <http://www.hc.cyberwize.com>
       <harry at corsazzi.com> * 877-507-9562