[P1] OT: Setting up Public Wi-Fi

gwallace gwallace at gwi.net
Sat Mar 13 19:32:19 PST 2004

On Mar 13, 2004, at 8:52 PM, Harry D. Corsover wrote:

> How does this relate to what we're talking about?
I think listening to someone else's radio is much closer than using
their hammer or stealing their car.  I turn on my computer, my airport
automatically connects to the network, my mail downloads by itself
before I even notice I'm connected.  Yes, I've "used" the signal being
broadcast by somebody nearby, just like I've listened to the music
being played on the next beach blanket.  But I haven't interfered with
anybody else's property and haven't even actually done anything other
than turning my computer on.  So, is it my responsibility to search for
the neighbor with the unprotected network so I can ask permission, or
alternately, am I expected to turn airport off when I use my iBook at
home? From the lively debate on this list, it appears that the answer
is far from clear.