[P1] OT: Setting up Public Wi-Fi

J.C. Webber III jcw at kingoblio.com
Sun Mar 14 07:45:13 PST 2004

Harry D . Corsover wrote:
> How does this relate to what we're talking about? I think some of our
> analogies are getting pretty far afield from questions of tapping into
> someone's wireless network without their knowledge or permission.

I'm a stickler for ethics myself, but here's my problem with those of
you, especially you Harry, who try and put the oneous on the 'visitor'
instead of the site maintainer; how am I, the visitor, supposed to tell
the difference between an intentionally open public signal and one that
is open because the owner did not take basic security steps?

Why is his negligence my problem?  I don't know he didn't intend for
this to be a public access site.  They are poping up all over the place.
Am I supposed to research each one to make sure it was *intended* to
be open and public?

--
J.C. Webber III
Technical Lead, Unix System Administrator