[P1] OT: Setting up Public Wi-Fi

gwallace gwallace at gwi.net
Sun Mar 14 08:29:14 PST 2004

On Mar 14, 2004, at 10:42 AM, Bill Lockhart wrote:

> there is one other option. ASK.

That was my original question.  If I don't know where the signal is
coming from, do I start knocking on doors and asking if they just
happen to have a wireless network?  Or do I walk around with my
computer until I get to the strongest signal?  Despite the fact that I
live in Maine, my neighborhood is somewhat urban with a mix of
businesses, town offices, apartments, and homes.  I actually don't know
any of my immediate "neighbors."    The signal inside my house is
strong from three of the four side walls, so it seems that it could be
coming from anywhere.

Anyway, I have chosen to believe it is an intentionally public signal,
so there's nothing to ask.