recent ibook parts swappable?

Sid Barras sbarris at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 19 00:14:43 PST 2004

HI gang,
I'm new to the list, so forgive my question if it is a common query--

Are the drives swappable in recent vintage ibooks?
I got one of those newly discounted ibook G3 800s; It was a good deal,
I thought, at $700, especially given that it came with some OS X
panther (10.3) install disks, which I've been wanting for my desktop
unit for some time.. (but of course I would never use the disks on more
than one computer)

Anyway, I rue the fact I didn't get the CD-R / DVD "combo" drive, and I
see from some glances on ebay, that there are some parted out ibooks of
very recent vintage showing up. There was one, in fact, just the other
day, but I wasn't willing to bid too high on it, not knowing if it
could be "transplanted."

I have performed surgery on just about every computer I've ever owned,
so I don't feel afraid to open it up and void the warranty.

So, after boring you for this long, I come to the point-- can a CD-ROM
unit be removed, and a CD-R/DVD "combo drive" be inserted in that hole
just created?
Surely the mother board is the same on all ibooks of a production
model, even if some get different drives?

If you know, a word to the rookie would be highly appreciated!

Greetings from CajunLand USA South Louisiana
Sid Barras