[P1] Yo-yo vs. square power adapters

Small Moose Ltd small_moose_ltd at mac.com
Fri Mar 19 02:49:26 PST 2004

I think the yo-yo's were discontinued because although they looked nice,
they were suspect to breaking. For instance, the bit that goes into the side
of the iBook can fray easily as the wire gets bent back and forth over time
and repeated use. Some people have reported shorting and the cabling going
black.

An interesting side note is that you know how the power port on the side of
the iBook glows amber whilst its being charged and then turns green when its
full? well originally Apple wanted the entire yo-yo adapter to glow colours
like this.

I've been fortunate with my yo-yo and its worked fine over the last three
years but I was aware of the adapter shortcomings before I got my iBook,
otherwise I probably would have treated it more casually.

Now I think the difference between the yo-yo and the white brick adaptor is
that their plugs that are inserted into the iBook are different sizes. If
you have one of the first revision of white Icebooks, then you can probably
use the yo-yo quite happily, but if you have the 600MHz onwards, then they
use a different socket size.