[P1] Wireless Print Servers

Christian Dupuis d1user at mac.com
Tue Mar 23 10:06:28 PST 2004

On 20-Mar-04, at 10:49 AM, Signhelpers.com wrote:

>> Well, as long as the wireless print server is connected to your lan?
>> Sure. Depending on the unit, it probably works with generic IP
>> printing (LPD/LPR).
>>
>> What model/brand of wireless print server are you considering?
>>

> I'll know Sunday. My network guy is bringing a new server
> (unfortunately not an Apple X-serve but a Windoze 2000 box with dual
> 250 gig hds and and DVD+ burner - it's needed to run some proprietary
> title insurance software for my wife's company) and he'll be providing
> the wireless print server.

You can set up a print queue on the Windows 2000 box that your OS X
system can access; if you're running Panther, it will even see the
Windows print queue; otherwise, you can have your network guy enable
SFM (services for macintosh, which adds Appleshare file and print
services to the Win2K box.  If the wireless print server does not
provide an accessible client for your Airport-equipped mac, you can
still connect to the printer through the Windows file server.

Although I would be REALLY surprised if that wireless print server
didn't support IP printing natively.

Chris Dupuis