[P1] Firewire HD addition for iBooks

KhooCK filhos at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 26 14:07:33 PST 2004

You are getting a bit confused here. There are two main hard disk sizes
2.5inch and 3.5inch (refers to width of the HD). The hard disk from your
beige G3 is a 3.5inch HD. 2.5inch HD are usually found in portables (there
are two variants 9.5mm or 12mm). There are also 1.8inch HDs, found in iPods.

There is no such thing as a 5.5inch hard disk (not in standard desktop
computers anyway). There is however a 5.25inch *enclosure*. This is an
enclosure for a hard disk that fits into an empty slot in a desktop PC (ie
it is an internal enclosure). Such an enclosure normally takes a 3.5inch
hard disk but I have seen some that take 2.5inch HDs.

You can also buy external enclosures (which is what I think you are trying
to get). These enclosures come in various sizes, and what size you want
depends on how portable you want it to be. All you need to know is whether
it will fit a 3.5inch HD. FYI, I have a FireLite enclosure (about 2.75inch
across) which fits a 2.5inch HD, a narrow firewire enclosure (about 4 inches
across) which fits a 3.5inch HD, and a wide firewire enclosure (about 5.5
inches across) which also fits a 3,5inch HD. The only difference between the
narrow and wider enclosure is that the power suppply is internal in the
wider version (which is a lot tidier).

You need to consider these factors when buying an enclosure:
What size HD does it take
How big an item you want it to be
Whether is is bus powered, external power brick or internal PSU
What connections (USB, Firewire, SCSI)

Hope this helps

Rgds
CK