Dead iBook dual-USB combo drive-HELP Please!

J. Henderson jayh at comcast.net
Wed Mar 31 12:16:15 PST 2004

Hi,

I recently replaced my iBook battery after trying everything to resurrect
the original. So, I thought I had spent all I was going to spend on my aging
dual-USB iBook w/combo drive. Not so, or at least that's what the tech at my
local Apple authorized service location told me.

My drive door will open w/both the hardware and software options, I can hear
it TRY to spin up with a disc inserted but NO startup. I have seen a thread
at Apple's discussion area on dead combo drives so I know I'm not alone. The
shop says it will take $399 plus $180 labor to replace the drive.

Any ideas beyond springing for the replacement right now? Am I missing
something? I have not upgraded OS X Jag beyond 10.2.8 and the original
offering of that update if that helps.

TIA,

JH