[P1] Dead iBook dual-USB combo drive-HELP Please!

Guy McMickle fieroguy2m6 at fuse.net
Wed Mar 31 13:29:05 PST 2004

Just wondering, this authorized apple service center hasn't ever had to
open up your iBook for anything have they?  Has the hard drive been
upgraded or replaced?  The reason I ask is because the IDE cable that
runs between the HDD and the optical drive is VERY easy to break!  It
is paper thin and glued in spots that can easily break the cable if
careless.  I know because I broke mine when I upgraded my own hard
drive!  I just don't want you to get screwed by someplace that caused
the damage themselves.  If there hasn't been any such service, you
could try doing it yourself.  It's not that bad as long as you aren't
careless like I was.  $580 for a replacement drive is about as much as
it would cost to replace the entire unit.  In fact, you could probably
ebay the old iBook for a couple hundred bucks and get another similar
iBook for $500...less than the cost of repairing your drive.

-Guy McMickle