[P1] external monitor with closed lid on ibook G3

Brian Pearce bpearce at cloud9.net
Thu May 6 06:13:47 PDT 2004

> Since yesterday, I am the proud owner of a ibook G3 900 14 inch. I was
> wondering if it is at all possible to have the lid closed while an
> external monitor is connected and a mouse and keyboard is connected to
> the usb port. I have tried various sequences, but wasn't successful.

You can do this via a software hack, but the iBook is not really
designed to be run in this way; it doesn't have adequate ventallation
while closed, and the exposure to excess heat could cause component
failures, or at least shorten the life of the components. (And, of
course, using it would void your warranty, so if anything goes wrong,
you could be stuck.)

BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net
http://www.redjacketpress.com