Hand-me-down OS Upgrades

Tom Burke tom_burke at mac.com
Thu May 13 00:29:03 PDT 2004

> Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 21:11:26 -0400
> Subject: Re: [P1] hand-me-down OS upgrades
> From: Thomas D. Kearns <thomas.d.kearns at verizon.net>

But is it? New releases of Mac OS are not sold as Upgrades - you buy a
complete installation version, and a complete license. So if they buy a
copy of Panther for Joy's husband, he's properly licensed with that.

What law is broken if his copy of Jaguar, now no longer in use, is
installed on Joy's machine? They have two fully-licensed versions of
the OS on two computers. Actually, they have *three* fully licensed
versions; 10.1.5, 10.2, and 10.3, of which they are only using two.

It would be different if Jaguar or Panther had been available as
upgrades; in that case I'm assuming that the terms of the license would
require the continued use of the earlier version. But that's not how
they were sold.

> That's not quite a "not supposed to do" kinda thing.  It's a federal
> crime.
>
> Tom
>

> On Wednesday, May 12, 2004, at 02:15 PM, Brian wrote:
>
>> You aren't supposed to do it, but you can buy 1 copy and put it on
>> both machines.
>>
>> I won't tell.
>>
>> BG
>>
>> On May 12, 2004, at 8:57 AM, Joy Freeman wrote:
>>
>>> So, could we buy Panther for him, upgrade his system, and then use
>>> his original install disks to install 10.2.8 on my machine? Any
>>> reasons not to do this?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Joy

Tom Burke