[P1] booting iMac from iBook

Charles Pearce charlesp at ksu.edu
Thu May 13 11:10:19 PDT 2004

On May 13, 2004, at 6:24 AM, Bill Raffensperger wrote:

> About my original problem: Optical drive weirdness. At a MUG meeting
> last night someone said it's a Jaguar problem with some iMacs. Problem
> is, the iMac will not see or mount or boot from ANY CD, except the
> Disk Warrior 3.0 CD. No audio CD, no system CD, the drive just won't
> spin up right. Like it's broken. But the Disk Warrior CD works just
> fine. I ran Disk Warrior. Didn't fix the problem. So next, I am gonna
> do the "reverse." Boot the iMac in target disk mode, firewire to the
> iBook then install Panther on the iMac using the optical drive in my
> iBook. Hopefully that'll fix the iMac. I'll let y'all know what
> happens.

One of my colleagues who has one of our desktop G4s for use at home
came in yesterday complaining of exactly the same kinds of symptoms
after running the most recent security update from Apple. He was using
Jaguar and it was working until he installed the update. We UPGRADED
his machine to Panther and it works just fine.

Charles Pearce (charlesp at ksu.edu)