[OT] TiVo

Keith Whitney keith at hauck.com
Fri May 14 13:27:03 PDT 2004

> I realize that this isn't exactly the right list to go to for this question,
> but the people on this list are so smart about tech stuff, so here I go
> anyway:
>
> I'm interested in TiVo or some other kind of DVR. I want to be able to record
> from cable, as with TiVo to time-shift, etc., but I would also like the
> capabilities of being able to take the digital video and somehow get it into a
> desktop G4 with a DVD burner, to--you guessed it--burn the video onto a DVD. I
> am a professor of mass communications and I frequently use materials that I
> get from broadcast tv in my classes and would like something easier to use
> than VHS tape.
>
> My questions: Does anyone on this list have experience with TiVo or DVR? Short
> of buying a DVR and DVD-R combo, how does one get the DV to the computer?
> Unless you think your answer(s) would be of interest to the whole list, please
> respond to me directly. If I think that the list would be interested in the
> response(s), I can summarize and post. Thanks.
>
> Charles Pearce (charlesp at ksu.edu)

from MacOSXHints:

"This 21st Century Holy Grail comes in the form of a recent FCC regulation
requiring all cable companies to provide a Firewire-enabled Cable box to any
customer who asks. (Yes, some government agencies are still on our side
after all!) This law went into effect April 1st, and by now most Cable
companies have complied."

"Unlike regular TV, you cannot record HD with an analog VCR -- or even a
standard issue Tivo. You must have a Firewire connection ... the very same
Firewire that ships on every modern Mac. (bet you see where this is headed).
You have the Mac, now all you need is the cable box and a pair of free
programs: VirtualDVHS for recording, and VLC for playback!"

<http://tinyurl.com/2rf4l>

Hope that helps,
Keith