[P1] scanner advice needed

Pam Sorooshian pamsoroosh at earthlink.net
Sun May 16 09:59:57 PDT 2004

On May 16, 2004, at 4:57 AM, Dan Farley wrote:

> I like Canon Canoscans because they not only plug into your usb port -
> but
> are powered from it also - so there is no extra power brick making
> them as
> portable as your laptop. I haven't checked out their most current
> software
> as I'm a fan of 'VueScan', a powerful, independent, shareware program
> that's
> compatible with almost all scanners and is updated often.

I did read this a couple of days ago. But System requirements listed on
the website for the Canoscans are:
	• 	Mac OS X v10.1.3 to v 10.2.x: 128MB RAM
	• 	 Mac OS X v 10.1.x to v 10.2.x: 128MB RAM (Classic Mode);
	• 	 Mac OS 9.1-9.x: 128MB RAM
	• 	 USB Port

Which means not compatible with OS X 10.3.x, I would think.

Are you using a Canoscan with 10.3.x and had no problems?

<<Macintouch has had some recent updates to their Scanners special
report -
you can get more than enough info right here.
<http://macintouch.com/scanners03.html>>>

What I read there is one complaint after another about problems with
every scanner. I can't follow most of what people say there - they are
talking about patches and drivers and software problems and workarounds
and all that.

What I'm asking is if anybody here is using OS X 3.x with a scanner
that they are happy with and can report that it was really easy to set
up and use for a nontechnical person?

-pam
National Home Education Network
<www.NHEN.org>
Serving the entire homeschooling community since 1999
through information, networking and public relations.