OS X security flaw

Jill Whenmouth jillwhenmouth at mac.com
Sun May 23 17:35:18 PDT 2004

Questions re the security flaw and patch

1. Does the security flaw affect OS X.1?

2. To apply the security patch do we have to update to OS X.2.8 or OS X.3.3?
(the patches listed are for OS X 3.3 and  for OS X 2.8),

Specifically, If we have 10.2.4, must we first upgrade to 10.2.8?

 I ask this because the download page for the security patch specifies
system requirements of 10.2.8, so i assumed that's what apple meant.  Yet,
when i called apple's help desk the young man said, we could download the
patch into any 10.2 system.  (But since he hadn't heard about this security
patch's existence prior to looking up the page with me, I found myself
questioning how much he knew).

3. if i must upgrade from 10.2.4 to 10.2.8 , are there any possible
problems?.... any negatives?  (like suddenly the printer, or some
application, won't work )

4. and does one need to be using OS X when doing an upgrade involving OS X?

I hesitate to do something to my computer without knowing for sure whether
it is right or not.  One impulsive download and I might be stuck with hours
of fixing things!  So, I figure that it's better to ask, even though I feel
a bit dumb asking.    Thanks in advance for the answers.