[P1] OS X security flaw

Zoki zoki.news at linuxix.net
Mon May 24 00:23:13 PDT 2004

Le 22/05/2004 18:06, « Joy Freeman » <joyslists at pagesbyjoy.com> a écrit :

> It seems there's a major security hole in Mac OS X. It is potentially
> catastrophic, but rather than my explaining it, here's what more
> knowledgeable folks are saying:

*** It's as catastrophic as deleting the files yourself or having a HD crash
without proper backup. The above issue will delete files you have the
permission to delete: Meaning only the files in your private home directory.
That's why you shouldn't use your Mac as root or Administrator.

Since you really should be making backups on a regular basis - a FW disk is
NOT an expense, it's an investment - above security hole is "not that
catastrophic".

Still, following the instructions on how to avoid it is basic common sense.

Expect more annoyance like this. It's inevitable when implementing ease of
use within an OS.

Cheers,
Zoran.