iBook Repair, Again, and Again and Again!

Joe Sporleder joe at beloit-kansas.com
Fri May 28 10:20:27 PDT 2004

This is my 3rd time in 14 months that I've had to send in my 900mhz G3
iBook Combo Drive under Apple Warranty (and now extended AppleCare
Warranty this time). First time, main logic board and drive replaced,
2nd time, logic board replaced, this time, the screen will work for
about 30 minutes after I've powered it up after being unplugged and
battery removed over night, and then the screen will have strange small
bits of "TV like snow" go across it, like it is short circuiting, and
then it'll go blank. I can still access the keyboard and hit the power
key and the "R" key to restart it, so I think it is display specific
this time, but who knows. I've purchased 5 computers from Apple since
1987, and dozens for my employers as technology coordinator in the
newsprint industry, and I would say my own personal iBook has been my
worst experience. I don't know if it is a heat issue (or issues) that
causes this particular book to wear out more often or what. I know that
there have been Apple Knowledge base articles on the 12" PowerBook,
that says to avoid using soft cloth like surfaces (like the edge of
your hotel bed, for example) for your PowerBook (and I'm wondering if
it the same with the 900mhz G3 models), as it doesn't let the heat
dissipate, which I don't do too often anyways, and when I need too, I
usually put my iBook to sleep when it starts getting a bit warm in such
cases, or when I'm using it outside on a warm/hot summer day. Anyone
notice or have experience whether the 14" iBooks run any cooler? Does
the G4 models run significantly hotter (considering the G4 is
considered a much more heat producing chip)?

I'm curious whom on this list holds the "record" for the number of
times a particular iBook has been sent into Apple for Warranty repair
(and I count Extended AppleCare as warranty repair too, or any
recalls).

Joe