[iBook] upgrade issues

Mary C.Youra mcyoura at ix.netcom.com
Mon Nov 8 06:34:49 PST 2004

On Nov 7, 2004, at 6:54 PM, bobm613 at gmail.com wrote:

> Ever since i upgraded from 10.2.8 to 10.3.5 in my g3/600 ibook, i've
> been getting a lot of freezes and have also had to reset the startup
> disc several times. I have maximum ram (installed by a mac tech friend
> of mine). Hardware test says "perfect" and repair permissions hasn't
> found anything major.
>
> any ideas?

Bob--

I had similar difficulities upgrading to Panther from 10.2.6 with my
G3/800. I ran every diagnostic I could find, like Disk First Aid and
Disk Warrior, even the scary (for me) fsck -y. Despite the Apple
Hardware Test passing everything several times, when an authorized Mac
tech (I wasn't nervy enough to open this myself) pulled the 3rd party
ram module (installed by MCE Technologies), and I stood there and
installed 10.3, all was well. When the tech pulled the ram module, he
said it looked compatible, but it sure didn't work in 10.3. I then
purchased a new ram module to max out the ram (128 is just not
sufficient). Shorty after I was upgrading, there were lots of reports
on this list and elsewhere about 10.3 being finicky about ram, so it's
the first thing to suspect.

If your tech friend is nearby, ask him to pull the extra ram, and see
what happens installing Panther with just the built-in.

If you don't want to try pulling the extra ram just yet, try creating
another user with Administrative privileges, and keep it
pristine--don't add any system altering stuff (like things from
Unsanity) or startup items--then see if the freezes continue. If it
works okay, then maybe there's something about the way you have your
user configured that's causing the problem.

Mary