[iBook] Re: Audio Input on Graphite 366/SE

Tom Karlen tkarlen at appleisp.net
Thu Nov 11 05:50:47 PST 2004

Thanks All for your help and suggestions.  Video chat requirements are
indeed G3/600 or better.  Audio requirements are
	▪ 	 Mac OS X 10.2.5 or later (Mac OS X 10.3 or later for iChat AV 2.1
or later)
	▪ 	 Any PowerPC G3 microprocessor or later
	▪ 	 iSight, or any microphone
	▪ 	 56 kbit/s modem connection
So looks like its worth mailing her the dongle & a mike and testing it.

Cheers

TK
On Nov 10, 2004, at 7:10 PM,
ibook-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 19:32:44 -0600
> From: David Crump <davecrump at mac.com>
> Subject: [iBook] Re: Audio input on Graphite 366/SE
> To: ibook at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
>
>> My daughter was happily using a Clamshell 366 at college,  upgraded
>> with 20G HD and 512 M RAM,  OS 10.3,  until she tried an audio chat
>> with iChat.  No internal mike and no audio in port.  I was initially
>> stumped, until I remembered I had this USB dongle buried in the bottom
>> of a drawer.  I think it was made by Griffin. It looks to be
>> switchable
>> between mike in and speaker out.  It seems like a possible solution.
>> Has anyone had success with this and the Clamshells?
>
> I have a 466MHz Clamshell iBook and the Griffin iMic USB dongle you
> speak of.  It will let you use a mic with the iBook, but I'm pretty
> sure you need at least a 600MHz G3 to use iChat AV (i.e. audio or
> video Chat).  If I'm wrong, I'd sure like to know.  I know someone who
> would be ecstatic to know they could use iChat AV for audio chat on a
> 500MHz G3 iMac.
> Dave.

Tom Karlen
tkarlen at appleisp.net