[iBook] Mac friendly DV cameras?

Reid Conti rconti at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 09:10:31 PST 2004

Because I have *almost* no DV experience, this will probably be the
most uninformed advice you receive from someone on the Internet ever,
on any topic.  Which is saying something.  But I've had a few drinks,
so I'll go ahead anyway.

I used some kind of Sony DV camera (borrowed) to record some stuff,
then used iMovie to import it to my iBook 600.

Having never used any other programs, I can't comment on them.

I found iMovie, though, to be really slick.  Good for importing and
some basic editing and stuff.  Probably not for pro stuff, but I saw
no problem.  You select the "camera" mode and you can use the onscreen
controls to control the camera playback, and start capuring wherever
you want.  From my really limited experience, it doesn't seem to make
a difference.  The camera doesn't have to support the Mac (from what I
can tell), it just has to support DV.  So from that aspect, I think
it's all the same.  Obviously a better camera is a better camera, but
I don't think it's a matter of better Mac support vs. PC support.  I
remember on the old VHS VCRs, ther was the whole "4 head" thing which
gave you a flying erase head.  I imagine DV Cams also have different
technologies that affect how well they work with computers, so you'll
have to research which features are worth having and which aren't.
But I don't think Mac compatability is an issue; from what I've seen
it looks basically the same no matter what camera you use.

HTH,

- reid