[iBook] optimum angle for viewing screen

/ dave / arouet at winternet.com
Fri Nov 19 21:09:59 PST 2004

For those who know, or just those with an opinion, what is considered to
be the "proper" angle for staring at an iBook screen - straight on (i.e.
90 degrees perpendicular to the surface), or a skewed a few degrees up?
When doing photo work, a slight difference in viewing angle makes a big
difference in terms of getting the contrast/colors right. Which is
probably why a free-standing monitor is best for such work, but I
thought I'd ask just the same. What do the innumerable graphic designers
I see toting laptops around do - guess? Print lots of proofs?

Also, what have people found to be the best process for setting up an
accurate color profile for doing pre-press (CMYK) work in Photoshop on
an iBook? Is there a good online FAQ or guide? I have a custom profile I
set up for which I've done a significant amount of comparison between an
original photo and my scanned/tweaked version on many kinds of monitors
(with an eye toward getting it as close as possible for the web, on as
many monitors as I can), but pre-press is a whole 'nother thing. Any
thoughts would be appreciated.

--

/  dave  /