[iBook] Wireless Router

david davidwb at spymac.com
Sun Nov 21 09:26:09 PST 2004

On 11/21/04 9:51 AM, "Samantha Cornell" <samantha at netresults.biz> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend the Netgear routers for use with the new G4 iBooks?
>
> I would like to set up a wireless network at my dad's house...but he is
> so technology resistant that I know I only have one shot at it!
>
> I use one at my house with my dual ISB iBook...so I'm pretty confident
> that it will work.  Comcast as offered to install a home network for
> him, for the tune of $30 a month!

I once did a good deed for my parents and spent the next 18 months providing
free technical service that was mostly at the eye dee 10 tee level (ID10T).
To have avoided that I consider paying $30 a month to someone else cheap.
Just a thought.

So long as everything works out of the box it really doesn't matter much
what you buy as long as it is WiFi. You might want to consider unpacking the
box, configuring it, and testing it at your place first. Nothing inspires
confidence in a newbie user like seeing the expert (at least in their eyes)
flummoxed by something not working right. I speak from sorry experience!

You'll probably want to think over what goes wrong most often and create a
troubleshooting card for him. Stuff like if you can't get online look at the
airport icon on the menu. Does it have bars or just an outline? How many
bars are black?