[iBook] OT: burning large files to a CD

Eric Richardson lbyron at comcast.net
Tue Nov 23 01:04:58 PST 2004

>On Nov 7, 2004, at 7:31 AM, Eric Richardson wrote:
>
>>On a G4 snowbook using Panther, with a DVD/CDRW, I want to burn
>>large files to 800 MB disks, but neither Toast 5.2.3 nor the built
>>in Panther capabilities seem to recognize the increased capacity
>>over 700 MB. Is there something to do that will allow the use of
>>the increased capacity?
>
>Don't know if you're still looking, Eric, but here are shareware
>applications that claims to solve your problem.
>
><http://www.projectomega.org/subcat.php?lg=en&php=products_firestarter>
><http://www.versiontracker.com/php/search.php?mode=basic&action=search&str=laze&plt%5B%5D=macosx&x=0&y=0>
>
>Good luck--I haven't used them myself.
>
>	Mike Beede

These help Mike, but not quite what I was hoping to find. I found
another as well that does what these do, named BurnXFree. It works
very well.

However, the CD-R manufacturers are selling CD's that claim to be
able to store 800 MB and 840 MB, the latter is an increase of 20%. Of
course, they cost a little extra. But I can't see where any of these
programs allow us Mac users to access the extra space on these CD's.
I wonder why?

Anyway, thanks. I had thought I would never see an answer.

Eric