[iBook] ibook/airport reception issue

Mark Kippert maclists at kippert.com
Fri Oct 1 08:55:16 PDT 2004

/ dave / on 9/30/04 12:54 PM wrote:

> Mark Kippert wrote:
>
>> I had the same problem on an earlier iBook with an original AirPort card.
>> The antenna (or some part of it) was bad. It went back to Apple (under
>> warranty) and they replaced the antenna and lead. The antenna is in the
>> screen with the lead passing through the hinge,  so it's not exactly a
>> do-it-yourself fix.
>
> I've been suspecting it might be an antenna problem, so I'll probably
> pursue this angle. As an aside, I'd also heard there were some weird
> problems with reception after a recent Panther update, though I'm
> guessing that's got nothing to do with my situation. (I'd gotten my new
> iBook right around the time of the update...)
>
> Thanks to everyone else for the comments re. my issue.
>
> Is it still the case that things sent off for repair under Applecare are
> coming back pretty quickly?

The two times I sent my iBook in, I had it back in less than 48 hours. Both
times it went out on a Monday afternoon and came back Wednesday morning.

One other thing comes to mind regarding your antenna. I recently help a
client, Paul, get set up with his new 17" PowerBook <green with envy>. We
couldn't get it to work properly with his AirPort express, so he went back
to the Apple Store with it where, of course, it functioned perfectly!!!???
When he tried to use it again at home...NOTHING.

So Paul called Apple tech support, tried a number of troubleshooting steps
and got nothing. After a pregnant pause the guy at Apple suddenly asked Paul
"are you calling from a cordless phone?". As it turned out, yes, he was, the
one on his desk. Paul promptly pulled the plug on the cordless and his
AirPort started working again! Of course he'd cut himself off from Apple
tech support <duh> but everything was working fine.

To solve his problem, and still allow the use of the phone, he simply
changed the channel on the AirPort Express.

Not sure if this helps you, but you never know.

-Mark