[iBook] Hello, I am new to the list.

sloppyagape at christian.net sloppyagape at christian.net
Sat Oct 2 12:50:08 PDT 2004

> Hello:
> I'm happy with my 700 iBook.
> I bought it new from Smalldog last year.
> I had one problem since purchase - a faulty motherboard.
> FYI - you should know about this site.
> http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/
>
> Based on my machine's serial number, I was covered under this program.
> There was no question asked.
> Still, I recommend that you buy Apple Care extended warranty within
> the
> next 12 months.
> Welcome to the light and right side of computing.
> Jim
>

> On Oct 2, 2004, at 10:33 AM, S. Douglass wrote:
>

> > I just purchased a new iBook 700mhz from Mac ResQ. Have been wanting
> an
> > iBook for a long time now. I am so glad I was finally able to get
> one,
> > and,
> > to find like minded souls that also adore the iBook.
> >
> > I hope I didn't get a lemon. I know there have been some problems
> with
> > some
> > of these iBooks. Anybody care to share some user experiences with
> me?

I am purchasing this iBook from Mac ResQ. I am not sure I can get Apple Care. It's a refurb. Heck, I am not sure I can afford Apple Care. I am disabled and I live on a very limited income. This is crashing my budget as it is. I need to buy a new OS disk for the system as well. Will need to hunt for a good deal. It does not come with anything but the power adaptor and a battery. Also going to need RAM. It comes with 128 megs, which I know is not enough, but it will most likely have to do for a good long while. Not sure how I will afford any number of things I need really. I wasn't sure how I would afford a new system, but, I was rewarded for my faith. It will be here soon, ordered it about 5 am this morning, as I watched the rosy glow of the coming sun through my window and prayed intensely that I could pull this off. I have free ground shipping with my order. So I guess it will be here in a week maybe. I hope. This iBook is a real step up for me in performance. I am hoping one day to max out the ram and run Panther on it. Would also like to get Airport installed someday, as where I live has wireless free internet in the downtown area.

I am an old grizzled Mac veteran. I am not a recent switcher. My current machine, an iMac DV/SE 400, is going down the tubes as we speak. It has display problems, the DVD drive is barely working, and it has some real issues with the hard drive. It overheats. Not only can I watch movies, but, I can pop popcorn. The CPU has soared to over 200 degrees on a number of occasions. In an air conditioned room. The DVD drive has trouble reading disks, has trouble taking disks, and has even more trouble ejecting disks. The motor starts, the disk moves about 1/8 of an inch so just the bare edge of the disk is sticking out, and stops. It's been a real pain in the hind end lately.

The iBook appeals to me as a computer. I wanted one from the moment the clamshells came out. I love Powerbooks as well. But Powerbooks have always felt heavy and clunky to me. I owned a Duo 280c for a long time and fell in love with the sub notebook. And I always pined for a worthy replacement. The original iBook was no such beast, it was huge and clunky, but it was quirky and charming, which made up for that I felt. It was most certainly rugged! I was positively entranced the first time I ever saw a Dual USB iBook. What can I say? It was the sub notebook that I had always dreamed of and hoped for. Light, rugged, and beautiful. It was perfect to my vision of what I wanted from a sub notebook. I wanted one for the longest time. I found a 500mhz icebook that I very nearly bought on Friday for 499... But at the last moment I did some checking and found the 700mhz with the combo drive on Mac ResQ for 599. I just had to have it. This is something that I actually have been waiting years for. I am excited as a kid at Christmas. Infact, I have been positively giddy today. This is  the realization of one of my dreams. And I am really hoping it's not a nightmare. I am aware that some of these units have problems.

I don't think I will be able to sleep till it gets here. I am utterly fixated.