[iBook] Hello, I am new to the list.

S. Douglass sloppyagape at christian.net
Sun Oct 3 15:46:44 PDT 2004

on 10/03/2004 5:40 PM, Larry Kollar at kollar at alltel.net wrote:

> sloppyagape at christian.net wrote:
>
> LOL, "sloppyagape." Good one. :-)
>
>> I am purchasing this iBook from Mac ResQ. I am not sure I can get
>> Apple Care. It's a refurb. Heck, I am not sure I can afford Apple
>> Care. I am disabled and I live on a very limited income. This is
>> crashing my budget as it is. I need to buy a new OS disk for the
>> system as well. Will need to hunt for a good deal. It does not come
>> with anything but the power adaptor and a battery. Also going to need
>> RAM. It comes with 128 megs, which I know is not enough, but it will
>> most likely have to do for a good long while. Not sure how I will
>> afford any number of things I need really.
>
> I'll send you my Jaguar (OSX 10.2) disks as soon as I get around to
> purchasing Panther (10.3), but that might be a while. If anyone else
> wants to cut in line, feel free. :-)
>
> For RAM, check macseek.com -- they do all the comparison shopping for
> you. Every time I've ordered RAM, it's always Coast to Coast (aka
> 1-800-4-MEMORY) that brings in the best quote when you factor in
> shipping. A 256 MB stick, which is as low as I'd go if I were buying on
> a tight budget, is (as of today) $39 + shipping. Shipping is anywhere
> from free, if you want to wait for US mail, to $24 for priority
> overnight FedEx. Or maybe someone has an extra RAM stick they feel like
> sharing?
> --
> Larry Kollar    k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
> "The hardest part of all this is the part that requires thinking."
> -- Paul Tyson, on xml-doc

I have heard mixed reports on Jaguar for the 700mhz iBook.

I see a couple of places where I could buy it cheap (And several folks have
offered to send me disks, many thanks) and I know I could get a hold of it
one way or another, but several folk have told me to avoid Jag on the G3
iBooks. Many have said it slows it down, reduces the battery life, and has
very poor video performance. How are all of your experiences with it? People
keep telling me to save up and spring for Panther and don't waste my time
with Jag. Last time I tried OSX was the very first release and I hated it.
It's grown up some and matured, and I think with a new machine, I am ready
to try it. I know nothing about it, other then what I have read at various
tech forums. One thing seems constant, and that's avoid Jaguar. Is it really
all that bad?

I am I am jittery. I honestly don't care what I use at this point. I want it
to arrive. Must wait for Monday for it to even ship. Longest weekend ever...