[iBook] Hello, I am new to the list.

Larry Kollar kollar at alltel.net
Sun Oct 3 17:24:00 PDT 2004

S. Douglass wrote:

> I have heard mixed reports on Jaguar for the 700mhz iBook.
>
> [...] several folk have told me to avoid Jag on the G3
> iBooks. Many have said it slows it down, reduces the battery life, and
> has
> very poor video performance. How are all of your experiences with it?

Well, my G3/900 came with Jag. I get 4 to 4.5 hours of battery with
10.2.8. It's my primary machine, I use it for everything from writing
awk scripts to iMovie.

> One thing seems constant, and that's avoid Jaguar. Is it really
> all that bad?

There were some issues with updates around 10.2.4 and 10.2.5.
Installing the Combo updates of later releases took care of the
problems. OTOH, I've heard of all sorts of Panther-related problems,
especially related to 10.3.5 and some of the video editing apps like
Final Cut Pro HD. I want to get Panther eventually, to take advantage
of its extended PDF-handling/generation capabilities... but if I wait
much longer, I'll end up with Tiger anyway.
--
Larry Kollar    k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
"The hardest part of all this is the part that requires thinking."