[iBook] iBook Gaming

David Binnion davidwb at spymac.com
Mon Oct 4 12:44:29 PDT 2004

On 10/4/04 3:05 PM, "S. Douglass" <sloppyagape at christian.net> wrote:

> I am not a serious game player. It's just a nice way to pass the time.
>
> I am curious about Sim City 4. Will it play on an iBook 700?
>
> Sys requirements are not to terrible. It will run on a high end G3.
>
> What I want to know is... Will the video card in the iBook 700 support it.
> Different sites say different things. One sight lists working video cards
> and any Radeon is supported, which the iBook 700 has. Aspyre says it takes a
> 32mb card to say. A couple of folks from the Mac Addict Forums say you can
> in fact, run it on the 16mb Radeon just fine.
>
> Anybody have any personal experience?

I *think* I still had my iBook when SimCity came out but I wouldn't swear to
it. But I will swear to is that I have a QuickSilver G4 desktop (512 meg
running at 867mHz with a Radeon 9000 video card) and SimCity 4 runs quite
slowly on it. Even turning down the whiz bang graphics doesn't really help;
once the population starts expanding the slows strike it again. This was a
major complaint among PC users too. As much as I like the SimCity franchise,
I found the game unplayable on all but my new PowerBook but since it causes
the fans to run constantly I stopped playing it on that as well. I sold the
game on eBay.

david