[iBook] replacement harddrive suggestions

Angus Wallace angus.wallace at flinders.edu.au
Tue Oct 12 01:14:02 PDT 2004

G'day all,

There are at least 2 ways to measure the speed of a hard drive.

The first is a measurement of how fast the hard disk can send data to the rest
of the computer. In the case of your FW drive, that is limited to 400mbs. In
practice - you are unlikely to ever achieve that. This is because of other
bottlenecks that exist in the system.
Generally, it's faster to copy one large contiguous (meaning that all the data
for the file is stored serially along the hard disk, as opposed to being broken
up in little bits and spread all over the place. the latter is also called
'fragmentation').

In the case of the hard disk having to 'search' for data (i.e if it isn't
contiguous, or is comprised of many small, scattered files), then the other
measurement becomes relevant. That is the speed at which it rotates (i.e.
4500rpm). Generally, a hard disk that rotates at a higher speed will be able to
search for, find, and read/write data more quickly - and will use more
power/produce more heat..

An often undervalued attribute of a hard disk is it's cache. This is RAM on the
drive that keeps recently/often used data in memory, so that it bypasses the
seek/read thing entirely. This is often 2mb or 8mb. A larger cache allows the
HD to streamline data I/O, making it work more efficiently.

My advice would be that laptops generally are not designed for speed, but are
designed for portability. Based on this, you should get the largest capacity
drive as possible/reasonable, with the largest cache (for speed/efficiency),
but not necessarily the fastest rate of rotation.

However, if you really want/need rapid data I/O (perhaps for video or
_serious_multitrack_ audio editing), then an external, 7200rpm, 8mb cache,
FW/USB2 hard disk is probably your best bet. However, to do this in a _really_
serious way, you probably want a desktop anyway! ;-)

This is, at least, my understanding of it all. Others may want to add to or
correct what I've said.. ;-)

HTH,
-Angus