[iBook] making a mountable Disk Image of my whole hard drive -- easiest way?

Robert A. Virzi bob.virzi at verizon.com
Tue Oct 12 10:58:41 PDT 2004

>On Oct 12, 2004, at 10:13 AM, Robert A. Virzi wrote:
>
>>>What is the easiest way to make a mountable disk image of my whole
>>>hard drive?
>>>

>>Carbon Copy Cloner should do what you want.  I used to use it for
>>backups, but it really isn't suited to that task.  However, it does
>>make very nice, bootable copies of a drive without problems.
>>

>Prithee please tell what's wrong with CCC for backups? I've been
>using it that way to back up to a FW external drive and haven't
>noticed any limitations?

CCC works fine if you use it in immediate mode.  But it doesn't work
so well if you set it on a schedule, and let it run (say backing up
every night).  For one thing, it doesn't necessarily delete deleted
files.  So the back up set continues to grow.  (Psynch should handle
this but I found it flaky.)

A much larger problem for me is that the top-level files for the back
up are determined when you first create the back up set.  CCC will
recursively find new files and folders below the root level, but if
you throw a new file or folder on the desktop, CCC doesn't see it and
so it isn't backed up.  This is the main reason I don't find it
acceptable as an automated back up tool.
			-Bob