[iBook] Dev Kit and backups

Jean-Paul Thuot jeanpaul at zhenwu.org
Mon Oct 18 05:21:59 PDT 2004

All this talk of backing up has come just as I bring home a new
external Firewire HD, and I've been looking for ways to sync it up with
my home directory using Cron.

I've found this open source app called 'psync' which can be found here:

http://www.dan.co.jp/cases/macosx/psync.html

However, one thing it needs is something called MACOSX::FILE which can
be found here:

http://search.cpan.org/dist/MacOSX-File/File.pm

The thing I've run into is this cryptic little line:

"To install this module, first make sure Developer kit is installed."

Now, WHICH Developer Kit are they talking about, and how do I know if
it's installed? I went to the Apple site and found a list of about 15
different development kits available. One looked useful, called XCode,
however you must be a member to purchase it and I don't want the hassle
if I don't absolutely need it.

I come from a mixed Windows/Linux background so I'm not concerned about
compiling/making the files.  I just don't know what "Developer Kit"
refers to in this instance.  If someone has an insight into this I'd be
grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Jean-Paul