[iBook] dead screen

J Patrick Draine draine at comcast.net
Thu Oct 21 19:58:15 PDT 2004

Friends,
I've been enjoying my G3 900 MHz iBook for about 1.25 years, but it has
just gone lame on me. My wife was using it at the time; apparently the
screen flashed several times and then went dead. It *sounds* like it
starts up (HD sounds etc) but no life from the screen. I had never any
use for the video out bridge, but I tried using it and it provides no
signal to the exterior monitor.
Before I call AppleCare (or take it up to the local Apple Store) what
is the best procedure to access the iBook HD, for purposes of cloning
it to an external FW drive before sending it in for service?
Thanks,
Patrick Draine