[iBook] Airport cards/alternatives

Scott Warren sw at shelton.org
Tue Oct 26 08:46:38 PDT 2004

Well, there is more than just finding an Airport card.  For those
computers that have an ethernet port but no way to install an airport
card, you can get a "wireless access point" and plug that into the
ethernet port.  Yes, there is still a cable coming out of the computer,
would also expect a power cable as well though.  For those with
multiple computers where there is no ethernet drops, you can take that
wireless access point and plug it into a hub, then plug in all those
computers into the hub and you have a wireless hub/work group.

The network would flow like:

desktop or laptop airport ~~~~~~~ wireless base station ----- DSL/Cable
modem ----- (( internet service provider ))

desktop or laptop ethernet port ------ wireless access point ~~~~~~~
wireless base station ----- DSL/Cable modem ----- (( internet service
provider ))

desktops and laptops ethernet port ------ switch/hub uplink port -----
wireless access point ~~~~~~~ wireless base station ----- DSL/Cable
modem ----- (( internet service provider ))

---- means an ethernet cable
~~~ is your wireless signal

Getting the airport card is the ideal choice, but wireless access
points are less than $100 so if you dont mind the cable, thats the
cheaper solution.