[iBook] Airport cards/alternatives

Brandon M. Bost bmbost at joimail.com
Tue Oct 26 15:21:11 PDT 2004

On 10/26/04 4:26 PM, "Brian Pearce" <bpearce at cloud9.net> wrote:

>> Somewhere online is a site that shows a card for a different laptop (
>> perhaps a Compaq? ) that's quite small, that uses the same card as the
>> ibook but you have to remove a small plastic addition from the end of
>> the
>> card- sorry I don't remember where I saw it.
>
> Now I remember...well, sort of. I think it was a /Sony/ part that
> people were saying could be modified as you describe and used in place
> of an original AirPort card. (It might even have been discussed here,
> on this very list.)

I managed to find that card that is mentioned.  It's at

http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/action.lasso?-database=faq.fp3&-layout=FaqList
&-response=answer.faq.lasso&-recordID=34221&-search

I recently spoke to an Apple Education seller, and he said that Proxim made
cards that would work in place of the original Airport card.  I, personally,
do not see any cards that would work.  Comments?  BTW, thanks for all of the
info.  I managed to find a D-Link USB adapter for a good price at Office
Depot, but I'm going to hold off until I get more info about obtaining an
airport card.  The less I have to attach to my iBook, the better :-)

Brandon M. Bost