[iBook] What battery life, and HD woes

Brian Pearce bpearce at cloud9.net
Wed Sep 22 07:23:42 PDT 2004

> This is not beneficial to modern (i.e LiIon) batteries. In fact, it is
> actually
> bad for them. It's best to keep them as charged as possible, as much as
> possible.

I've heard so much conflicting advice on this that I'm almost hesitant
to comment. But I will say that I know that a this type of battery has
a finite number of charge/discharge cycles -- my understanding is that
you'll want to avoid doing too many partial charges (charging, say,
when the battery is only half-full) to get the most from them and
maximize the life of the battery. This is what I did over the three
years that I used my original Key Lime iBook battery -- I almost always
charged it when it was down to the point where it was about to sleep or
shut down -- and it got a great deal of mileage out of it before it
started to lose it's capacity.

BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net
<http://www.redjacketpress.com>